Imagine being able to see who is funding what and where—anywhere in our region, anytime, and with just a few clicks.
Access to accurate, up-to-date grantmaking data is critical to understanding the funding landscape and ensuring that your giving is as effective as it can be. And that’s what this campaign is all about!
The campaign to “Get on the Map” is a partnership between Grantmakers of Western PA, the Foundation Center and the United Philanthropy Forum.
To improve the quality, timeliness, and availability of rich grant data—for and about funders in our region.
And it all starts with you—sharing your current grants data.
If I share my data, what’s in it for me?
When you share your data, you’ll be making a powerful contribution to Foundation Maps, a highly interactive, searchable mapping platform from the Foundation Center that will be accessible to all GWP members.
But, it’s all about participation. Only when our community of funders shares data, will the Foundation Maps platform reach its full potential as a powerful source of accurate, up-to-date answers to questions like…
- Who else is funding a particular issue in our region?
- What organizations are tackling that issue?
- Who is working with specific populations in our community?
- Who may be natural collaborators?
- Where are there gaps in funding?
- How much money is collectively going to specific issues or areas in our region?
- What are strategies at play?
New Enhancements for Participating Funders
In response to your feedback, Foundation Center has made some enhancements to the regional map, which are aimed at ensuring that you can make the most use of the information available via this tool.
Organizations participating in GOTM will receive one organizational log-in to the regional map once they’ve sent in FY16 data. These log-ins will give you access to two new features:
• Downloads: The ability to download up to 1,000 grant records/year. These grant records will have the full details, including grant descriptions and the coding provided by Foundation Center.
• Saved Searches: With your organizational log-in you will be able to save your searches, allowing you to access commonly viewed searches with one click.
How do I submit grants data?
There are just two steps to submitting your grants data using the eGrant format.
- Export a complete list of your most recent grants in Excel.
- Most grants management software platforms offer a pre-formatted export function that pulls the necessary data into an Excel file automatically. To find video instructions for your platform, click here.
- If you don’t use one of the listed software systems, simply export a complete list of your most recently-awarded grants into our Excel template.
- Email your report to email@example.com
Which data fields do I need to provide?
The chart below outlines all of the data fields included in the eReporting standard and highlights those that are required and most preferred.
As a thank you for sharing your data, you’ll also get access to a custom version of Foundation Maps that reflects your individual organization’s grantmaking activity. Once you see it, picture it populated with the data from hundreds of your fellow funders as well. Starting to see the possibilities?
Get on the map today!