The Pittsburgh Foundation is organizing a Critical Needs Alert online fundraising event this year with its largest-ever incentive pool of $738,000 to help bolster giving from the public. Funds will be raised for 190 nonprofit organizations that support basic needs in Allegheny and Westmoreland counties.
The Critical Needs event, under the #ONEDAY banner, is scheduled for Tuesday, May 7, from 8 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. through the Foundation’s PittsburghGives.org donation portal. Every donation of $25 or more will trigger additional funding from the incentive pool, which is comprised of $375,000 from the Foundation and $363,000 from its donors.
The five priority areas for this year’s Critical Needs Alert are:
- Child Care - Programs providing child care for infants and children up to age 6. (Those that provide only before- or after-school programming do not qualify.)
- Food and Nutrition - Organizations such as food pantries, food banks and soup kitchens that provide food to those who don’t have the ability to meet daily needs.
- Housing - Organizations providing direct shelter to individuals and families facing homelessness or other housing crises.
- Physical and Mental Health - Organizations providing clinical physical and mental health care.
- Transportation - Organizations with a core mission that includes providing transportation to those in need. (School programs that provide transportation to students from the core program do not qualify.)