Who are GWP members?
GWP membership is open to institutional grantmakers of all types – family foundations, independent foundations, community foundations, corporate grantmakers and other organizations that carry out grantmaking as part of meeting their mission. Our members are clustered in the ten counties of Southwestern Pennsylvania, but we welcome members located at a distance and hope to help connect funders across the Commonwealth.
What does GWP do?
GWP supports funders’ work at the individual, organizational and network levels.
- We offer educational programming, both in person and at a distance, on a wide range of community and regional topics, so that funders are well informed.
- GWP provides its members with professional development opportunities, designed to promote their effectiveness as grantmakers
- GWP also provides its members with local and national resources and a supportive community of peers
- GWP supports multiple learning networks that bring together funding organizations with shared interests so they can collaborate on solutions
- GWP keeps members informed on policy matters affecting philanthropy and nonprofits, and advocates with policymakers on how to create a supportive legal, tax and regulatory environment for private philanthropy
- GWP periodically supports co-funded initiatives that enable a group of funders to align their goals and their giving
What is a regional Philanthropy-Serving Organization (PSO)?
A regional PSO is a place-based professional association for funding organizations. GWP is part of a robust national network of such PSOs.
Where can I find a list of your members/foundations?
Please note that GWP does not share any information that member organizations do not share. For a list of member organizations and links to their websites, please visit our membership directory.
How can I become a member?
Click here for information on eligibility, our application process, and the benefits of joining GWP. Please feel free to contact Barbara Sieck Taylor, executive director of GWP, with any questions.
I am starting a nonprofit. Where do I find information and funding?
Please see Nonprofit and Community Resources page for some helpful resources in our region.
Does GWP make grants?
GWP is itself a (501) ( c ) 3 nonprofit, and it does not make grants in the course of its normal operations.
Does GWP offer fundraising guidance or assistance?
GWP does not have the capacity to offer individual fundraising guidance to nonprofit organizations. However, we are happy to provide information and referral to other community resources.
Can I attend a GWP program or event?
If your organization is eligible to apply for GWP membership, please contact GWP for information about how to attend a GWP program as a guest. For organizations that do not meet GWP’s criteria for membership, GWP events may be attended by invitation.
How can I suggest a program/ event or recommend a partnership?
We welcome ideas about what grantmakers should know. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of GWP’s staff will respond. Please note that GWP’s activities are designed not to raise awareness of the work of any single organization, but to help inform and prepare GWP members as they consider making their grant investments.